“In order to have an overall developed personality to cope with modern-day crisis, it becomes vital not only to study literature, but also see its relevance in economic, political and class terms. Such is the coalescing of radical sociology and the humanities, more so at a time when the old certainties are questioned and a civil society is being built around new identities and forms of empowerment.
“In Praise of Literature [the authors] argue for the redirection of sociology and literature towards active politics, justice and freedom. In other words, art and literature can never be cordoned off from social sciences and social theory. Literary scholars bring perceptive readings to bear upon social and political texts in the same way as sociologists throw light on the human condition. For instance, Greek Tragedy is aptly used in putting across a case in criminal law having direct bearing on social welfare, or Plato and Gibbon facilitate the understanding of diplomacy or important aspects of human value and the meaning of life, the chief concern of liberal arts.
“The crossing over from literary practice to social theory or vice versa gives a broader critical and philosophical grounding to the study of ideology and resistance, knowledge and power, the major concerns of humanities in a world overtaken by ‘pseudo modernism’ that spells disaster for our pulverised culture of ‘unreliable Wikipedia and blogs.’”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- The function of a writer, literature
- What is Life without Reading
- Literature's Greatest Contribution to the World
- Literature helps you discover your identity
- The subtle difference between a "spy" and an "intelligence agent"
- Readers vs Non-Readers
- Pentagon in your home and everyday life
- The Original, Real-Life, Ian Fleming's Bond Girl Inspiration
- Psychological effects of reading fiction
- Reading Books and Eating Disorders - psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/hunger…>> 2 weeks ago
- 9 reasons why book lovers are better human beings. timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/boo…>> 2 weeks ago
- WikiJustice: A Thriller Featuring the International Criminal Court ICC : kingofthrillers.com/wikijustice/in…>> 1 month ago
- Writers under FBI's surveillance thedailybeast.com/the-fbis-spyin…>> 1 month ago
- Reading in the Age of Fake News #fakenews spywriter.wordpress.com/2018/08/23/rea…>> 1 month ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com