“In order to have an overall developed personality to cope with modern-day crisis, it becomes vital not only to study literature, but also see its relevance in economic, political and class terms. Such is the coalescing of radical sociology and the humanities, more so at a time when the old certainties are questioned and a civil society is being built around new identities and forms of empowerment.
“In Praise of Literature [the authors] argue for the redirection of sociology and literature towards active politics, justice and freedom. In other words, art and literature can never be cordoned off from social sciences and social theory. Literary scholars bring perceptive readings to bear upon social and political texts in the same way as sociologists throw light on the human condition. For instance, Greek Tragedy is aptly used in putting across a case in criminal law having direct bearing on social welfare, or Plato and Gibbon facilitate the understanding of diplomacy or important aspects of human value and the meaning of life, the chief concern of liberal arts.
“The crossing over from literary practice to social theory or vice versa gives a broader critical and philosophical grounding to the study of ideology and resistance, knowledge and power, the major concerns of humanities in a world overtaken by ‘pseudo modernism’ that spells disaster for our pulverised culture of ‘unreliable Wikipedia and blogs.’”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- What is Life without Reading
- No Society without Literature
- The subtle difference between a "spy" and an "intelligence agent"
- Literature's Greatest Contribution to the World
- Literature helps you discover your identity
- Jack King
- The Relationship between Math and Literature
- How to turn kids into readers
- Operation Susannah: False Flag Operation Gone Bad
- Operation Market Garden - #military #intelligence #espionage #abwehr #poland #enigma #encrytion #cipher #ww2 news.clearancejobs.com/2019/09/17/mil…>> 1 day ago
- 30 Years Later, We Still Don't Know Who Betrayed These Spies - #espionage #betrayal #Gordievsky #Bokhan #Poleshchuk smithsonianmag.com/history/still-…>> 1 day ago
- How #Soviet #propaganda mocked the U.S., #NATO and the #CIA rbth.com/history/330953…>> 5 days ago
- The Importance of #Literature in a civil #society heraldpalladium.com/opinion/editor…>> 5 days ago
- #Rockstars have it easy: Take a catchphrase, and repeat ad neuseam; #Novelists have to come up with 100,000 words+>> 1 week ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com