“In order to have an overall developed personality to cope with modern-day crisis, it becomes vital not only to study literature, but also see its relevance in economic, political and class terms. Such is the coalescing of radical sociology and the humanities, more so at a time when the old certainties are questioned and a civil society is being built around new identities and forms of empowerment.
“In Praise of Literature [the authors] argue for the redirection of sociology and literature towards active politics, justice and freedom. In other words, art and literature can never be cordoned off from social sciences and social theory. Literary scholars bring perceptive readings to bear upon social and political texts in the same way as sociologists throw light on the human condition. For instance, Greek Tragedy is aptly used in putting across a case in criminal law having direct bearing on social welfare, or Plato and Gibbon facilitate the understanding of diplomacy or important aspects of human value and the meaning of life, the chief concern of liberal arts.
“The crossing over from literary practice to social theory or vice versa gives a broader critical and philosophical grounding to the study of ideology and resistance, knowledge and power, the major concerns of humanities in a world overtaken by ‘pseudo modernism’ that spells disaster for our pulverised culture of ‘unreliable Wikipedia and blogs.’”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- No Society without Literature
- The function of a writer, literature
- Using Sex in Espionage
- What is Life without Reading
- The Black Vault
- How writers achieve literary immortality
- "Reading is not necessary"
- The Oldest Record of Espionage
- Literature helps you discover your identity
- Meanwhile in #kawarthahighlands @kawarthahssp @ontarioparks #moose https://t.co/yNNExCwXDf>> 16 hours ago
- If your #mind tends to #wander when you open a #book, you'll want to try this spaced repetition #trick - thriveglobal.com/stories/get-mo…>> 20 hours ago
- Happy Thursday! Yellow Lady Slippers in the @kawarthahssp @ontarioparks #kawarthahighlands #nature #spring https://t.co/alf2xg4ize>> 1 day ago
- Helping this adventerous young Blanding's #turtle cross the road in the #kawarthahighlands @ontarioparks https://t.co/GPFwS575qd>> 3 days ago
- "To the States, or any one of them, or any city of the States, #Resist much, obey little!" Walt Whitman #alabama>> 3 days ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com