“Beyond acting as a form of meditation, reading helps build the neuro-networks that improve our lives immeasurably—including reducing sugar cravings. As mbg Collective member David Perlmutter, M.D., said on a recent episode of the mbg podcast, “100 percent of humans have a sweet tooth. It’s an ancestral trait that allowed humans to survive. Our sweet tooth is a legacy, and now it’s catered to 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, which leads to obesity.” The problem? “When we’re catering to this notion of stimulating the reward part of the brain with sugar, we strengthen that pathway to those reward areas of the brain that are involved with a neurotransmitter called dopamine, and it tends to distance us from connecting to the parts of our brain that aren’t involved in rewarding us moment to moment but are involved in our ability to be empathetic, to make long-term plans, to understand the long-term consequences of our day-to-day choices. We live in a society where we’re catering to the reward system of our brain moment to moment.” Conversely, when we strengthen the parts of our brain that are involved in being empathetic (something reading fiction has been shown to do), we weaken the neural pathways to the reward areas of our brain that make us crave sugar.”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- What is Life without Reading
- No Society without Literature
- The subtle difference between a "spy" and an "intelligence agent"
- Literature's Greatest Contribution to the World
- Literature helps you discover your identity
- Jack King
- The Relationship between Math and Literature
- How to turn kids into readers
- Operation Susannah: False Flag Operation Gone Bad
- Operation Market Garden - #military #intelligence #espionage #abwehr #poland #enigma #encrytion #cipher #ww2 news.clearancejobs.com/2019/09/17/mil…>> 1 day ago
- 30 Years Later, We Still Don't Know Who Betrayed These Spies - #espionage #betrayal #Gordievsky #Bokhan #Poleshchuk smithsonianmag.com/history/still-…>> 1 day ago
- How #Soviet #propaganda mocked the U.S., #NATO and the #CIA rbth.com/history/330953…>> 5 days ago
- The Importance of #Literature in a civil #society heraldpalladium.com/opinion/editor…>> 5 days ago
- #Rockstars have it easy: Take a catchphrase, and repeat ad neuseam; #Novelists have to come up with 100,000 words+>> 1 week ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com