The CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) was “a major player in intellectual life during the Cold War — the closest thing that the U.S. government had to a Ministry of Culture. This left a complex legacy. During the Cold War, it was commonplace to draw the distinction between “totalitarian” and “free” societies by noting that only in the free ones could groups self-organize independently of the state. But many of the groups that made that argument — including the magazines on this left — were often covertly-sponsored instruments of state power, at least in part. Whether or not art and artists would have been more “revolutionary” in the absence of the CIA’s cultural work is a vexed question; what is clear is that that possibility was not a risk they were willing to run. And the magazines remain, giving off an occasional glitter amid the murk left behind by the intersection of power and self-interest. Here are seven of the best, ranked by an opaque and arbitrary combination of quality, impact, and level of CIA involvement”:
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Literature helps you discover your identity
- First Lady Eva Peron protected Nazis in exchange for looted treasures
- The most important thing in life, according to Leo Tolstoy
- What is Life without Reading
- Readers vs Non-Readers
- "Reading is not necessary"
- Literature's Greatest Contribution to the World
- Spy vs Spy vs Spy - esciencenews.com/sources/harvar…>> 1 day ago
- Setting #supermoon seen from the hills of San Miguel de Allende #sanmigueldeallende #sma #superluna #losbalcones https://t.co/EB0bb6AMgF>> 3 days ago
- The technology behind #AI #fiction #writing: The models they produce don’t understand the sentences they construct bit.ly/2GuWV8J>> 6 days ago
- New monarch colony found in Mexico after yearslong search - kxnet.com/news/locals-fi…>> 1 week ago
- International #Reading #Statistics bookriot.com/2019/02/14/boo…>> 1 week ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com