“There is a serious academic contention that one of the reasons that Russia produced so many brilliant writers during the nineteenth century was that the structure of government (under a centralising Tsar, with an oppressive and tight circle of advisors) denied most young men, even the well-connected like (Count) Tolstoy, any hope of a career in politics. Thus the creativity that might have gone in to policy-making and progressive political change instead went into literature, as a (relatively safe) space where political and social ideas could be explored, without too much interference from the censors. If nothing else, a return to the text might provide better outcomes than a resort to war. Defend the study of arts and humanities – it is the ‘finding place’ for the complicated, messy and dangerous world that we all have to inhabit together.”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Psychological effects of reading fiction
- Writers driving a wedge into society
- What is Life without Reading
- British Female Spies of WWII
- What does it mean to serve "your country"?
- Pentagon in your home and everyday life
- The function of a writer, literature
- How Reading Keeps Your Mind Sharp
- How Cold War-era CIA duped US in $350M effort to steal Soviet submarine with the help of an iconic billionaire nydailynews.com/news/national/…>> 1 day ago
- The Benefits of Reading Every Day - rd.com/culture/benefi…>> 6 days ago
- #Spies, spooks and #whistleblowers: from Kim Philby to Edward Snowden - irishexaminer.com/analysis/spies…>> 1 week ago
- #espionage #coldwar - 27 Western spy tools confiscated by the Soviet KGB - rbth.com/arts/history/2…>> 1 week ago
- Radio Station Broadcast Cold War Era Messages Despite Being Non-operational - hackread.com/mysterious-rad…>> 2 weeks ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com