“Readers may assume that killing-off a character, and a major one at that, is usually the moment of careful, systematic and exciting plotting for every fiction writer. Or that, it may be nothing further away than ‘a treat’ for the narrator who manoeuvres and ruthlessly employs every brilliant gimmick possible, bring down a character that has succeeded in either winning the hearts of readers or breeding loathing only letters can illustrate. Thus, the writers’ genius creates the monster or angel that must surely be killed. How can this be made tangible? Writers will agree that killing-off a major character in a story takes great writing skill, precision, suspense, style and timing and perhaps a lot more. Without some of these ingredients, a story where a major character (or even a minor one) is killed-off may appear vague, unjustified, irrational and unreal to readers who hold unto every word that leaps out of the paper with an almost total innocence. However, it will not be irrational to conclude that almost every committed fiction reader is far from naivety and digs into the story the writer brings alive, with a fierce critical mind that always produces a quiet plea that seems to say: “convince me that I am not reading fiction but reality reincarnated.”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Anatomy of CIA recruitment techniques
- Pentagon in your home and everyday life
- Agents of Change
- Are writers loners?
- Psychological effects of reading fiction
- Readers vs Non-Readers
- The Monetization of Art and the Killing of Creativity
- Literature Key to Successful Business
- Reading Books Can Save Your Life - kashmirobserver.net/2017/features/…>> 5 hours ago
- Jesuit, One of the Earliest Industrial Spies atlasobscura.com/articles/porce…>> 1 day ago
- Is the business of being a spy morally defensible? - ottawacitizen.com/opinion/column…>> 1 week ago
- Cambridge spy who got away: telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/1…>> 1 week ago
- A new study on #daydreaming points to the benefits of letting your mind wander - qz.com/953511/at-last…>> 2 weeks ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com