“In genre fiction, it’s not like that. People usually begin their careers by having their writing rejected by their undergrad creative writing professors. Then (since they don’t get paid by MFA programs), they must write in silence and obscurity—choosing to write even when it means taking time away from their jobs and their families—for years! Since genre workshops tend to be self-organized, even if the writer does go to a regular workshop, their validation usually only comes from their peers (rather than from authority figures). Oftentimes their first real validation is when they sell a story: something that often comes after five or more years of constant rejection, with only extremely infrequent pats on the back (as opposed to the creative writing student who gets some praise at least three times a semester, when they turn in their stories for workshop).
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Using Sex in Espionage
- What is Life without Reading
- The function of a writer, literature
- Agents of Change
- JFK, Lee Harvey Oswald, and the Cure for Cancer
- The subtle difference between a "spy" and an "intelligence agent"
- Spies you don't hear about
- Why literature is good for us
- The Literary Industrial Complex
- The world’s only video footage of Marcel Proust, the novelist fleeing a wedding news.nationalpost.com/news/world/a-c…>> 3 days ago
- A New Look Inside the CIA's Program to Train Psychic Spies - popularmechanics.com/military/resea…>> 4 weeks ago
- Great Literature Is Surprisingly Arithmetic - scientificamerican.com/article/great-…>> 1 month ago
- For the #Love of #Writing for #Money - spywriter.wordpress.com/2017/01/11/for…>> 1 month ago
- For artists to hide their true identity is a real “act of resistance” in an era obsessed with celebrity - m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20…>> 1 month ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com