“So Icelanders love books. And that love involves most of the population, according to Baldur Bjarnason, a researcher who has written on the Icelandic book industry. …
In the United States, popular holiday gifts come and go from year to year. But in Iceland, the best Christmas gift is a book — and it has been that way for decades.
Iceland publishes more books per capita than any other country in the world, with five titles published for every 1,000 Icelanders. But what’s really unusual is the timing: Historically, a majority of books in Iceland are sold from late September to early November. It’s a national tradition, and it has a name: Jolabokaflod, or the “Christmas Book Flood.”
“The culture of giving books as presents is very deeply rooted in how families perceive Christmas as a holiday” … “Normally, we give the presents on the night of the 24th and people spend the night reading.”
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Psychological effects of reading fiction
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Simplicity and Clarity vs Complexity in Writing
- What is Life without Reading
- Anatomy of CIA recruitment techniques
- Agents of Change
- Culture on the Battlefields of the Cold War
- Operation Susannah: False Flag Operation Gone Bad
- Pentagon in your home and everyday life
- Gone as Autumn Leaves - Eraseable Ink - the-japan-news.com/news/article/0…>> 3 days ago
- Write to be Heard | Reading. Writing. Spying. - spywriter.wordpress.com/2017/05/11/wri…>> 1 week ago
- How Many Spies Are Currently Living in the U.S.? - popularmechanics.com/technology/sec…>> 1 week ago
- People who read books vs those who watch TV: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ar…>> 2 weeks ago
- Michael Collins’s women: spies, couriers and mothers - irishtimes.com/culture/herita…>> 2 weeks ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com