[…] the State Department’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research has received a confidential inquiry from the office of Erard Corbin de Mangoux, head of the French intelligence agency, Directorate General for External Security (DGSE), concerning a recent account of American government complicity in a mysterious 1951 incident of mass insanity in France. The DGSE is the French counterpart of the CIA.
The incident took place in the village of Pont-Saint-Esprit in southern France, and is described in a recent book about the 1953 death of an American biochemist, A Terrible Mistake: The Murder of Frank Olson and the CIA’s Secret Cold War Experiments. The book, by investigative journalist H.P. Albarelli Jr., was published in late November 2009 by TrineDay, which specializes in books about “suppressed information.”
The strange outbreak severely affected nearly five hundred people, causing the deaths of at least five. For nearly 60 years the Pont-St.-Esprit incident has been attributed either to ergot poisoning, meaning that villagers consumed bread infected with a psychedelic mold, or to organic mercury poisoning. But Albarelli reports that the outbreak resulted from a covert LSD aerosol experiment directed by the US Army’s top-secret Special Operations Division at Fort Detrick, Maryland. He notes that the scientists who produced both alternative explanations worked for the Sandoz Pharmaceutical Company, which was then secretly supplying both the Army and CIA with LSD. READ MORE
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to promoting reading, writing, and some espionage. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from around the world (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy).
All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Please contact me if you are a copyright holder and object to a snippet of your material being posted here, and I'll remove it. I sincerely hope, however, that you will reconsider.
I do not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- The function of a writer, literature
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Literature and History are Inseparable
- What is Life without Reading
- No Society without Literature
- For the Love of Writing for Money
- JFK, Lee Harvey Oswald, and the Cure for Cancer
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Corporate Intelligence Manipulation
- Detachment A - A clandestine Cold War military unit fayobserver.com/news/20170624/…>> 4 days ago
- The man who turned Soviet spies into Americans, illegals, dies bbc.com/news/world-eur…>> 6 days ago
- Strange tale of the anti-Nazi bestseller, the #Stasi #spies and the missing #Gestapo files - theguardian.com/books/2017/jun…>> 1 week ago
- How the Moon Was Turned Into a Cold War Spy Weapon - motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/…>> 2 weeks ago
- The best workout for the most important organ in human body - straitstimes.com/singapore/heal…>> 3 weeks ago
"A New King of Thrillers on the Horizon" ~ Sisters in Crime Author of Thrillers: Agents of Change, WikiJustice, The Black Vault, The Fifth Internationale... www.SPYWRITER.com