“So Icelanders love books. And that love involves most of the population, according to Baldur Bjarnason, a researcher who has written on the Icelandic book industry. …
In the United States, popular holiday gifts come and go from year to year. But in Iceland, the best Christmas gift is a book — and it has been that way for decades.
Iceland publishes more books per capita than any other country in the world, with five titles published for every 1,000 Icelanders. But what’s really unusual is the timing: Historically, a majority of books in Iceland are sold from late September to early November. It’s a national tradition, and it has a name: Jolabokaflod, or the “Christmas Book Flood.”
“The culture of giving books as presents is very deeply rooted in how families perceive Christmas as a holiday” … “Normally, we give the presents on the night of the 24th and people spend the night reading.”
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- Iza Garztecka - Agencja Literacka Helfa - to złodziej i oszustka.
- Infinite World Awaits Your Discovery
- Operation Susannah: False Flag Operation Gone Bad
- Helfa Literary Agency is a thief and a cheat
- What is Life without Reading
- Reading affects your personality
- Psychological effects of reading fiction
- How to spot an American [spy] overseas
- Reading is a Gift from Heaven
- Great books are not meant to be read once. They grow with successive readings: bit.ly/11xVtto>> 1 day ago
- The Apocalypse Condo Boom or Bubble? Live in #fear dailym.ai/1ybQWbR>> 2 days ago
- Literature complements medicine stanford.io/1uVREtR>> 2 days ago
- Wanna be a Spy? Wish You Had NSA's Cool Spying Toys? Now You Can -- As Low-Cost Open Hardware bit.ly/1uQ8g6l>> 5 days ago
- "to make money or to retain the ‘purity’ of writing as an art; that is the question" bit.ly/1uQ7JkL #sellouts>> 5 days ago
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to reading and writing and their effects. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from other sources (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy). All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Let me know if you find offending content, and I shall consider removing it. The Author of this blog does not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
Author, novelist, writing tales of conspiracy, intrigue and espionage