“So Icelanders love books. And that love involves most of the population, according to Baldur Bjarnason, a researcher who has written on the Icelandic book industry. …
In the United States, popular holiday gifts come and go from year to year. But in Iceland, the best Christmas gift is a book — and it has been that way for decades.
Iceland publishes more books per capita than any other country in the world, with five titles published for every 1,000 Icelanders. But what’s really unusual is the timing: Historically, a majority of books in Iceland are sold from late September to early November. It’s a national tradition, and it has a name: Jolabokaflod, or the “Christmas Book Flood.”
“The culture of giving books as presents is very deeply rooted in how families perceive Christmas as a holiday” … “Normally, we give the presents on the night of the 24th and people spend the night reading.”
I WRITE THRILLERS:
Jack SpyWriter King
- Why Reading Novels is Important
- What is Life without Reading
- How to Enrich your Life
- Using Sex in Espionage
- Cooking and Espionage
- Ask not what you can do for books, but what books can do for you
- Iza Garztecka - Agencja Literacka Helfa - to złodziej i oszustka.
- Judging Literature
- Operation Susannah: False Flag Operation Gone Bad
- How To Beat a Lie Detector
- Who knew: Amber, or 'Baltic gold' pursuit is a thriller drama of corruption, KGB, assassinations yhoo.it/1zfdI5a>> 1 day ago
- Secure communication, good for whistleblowers, good for you: bit.ly/1sAj8iD>> 1 day ago
- "Hoover approved ex-Nazis as informants and dismissed accusations of their wartime atrocities as Soviet propaganda" nyti.ms/1rKlrk7>> 3 days ago
- Surveillance Self-Defense | Tips, Tools and How-tos for Safer Online Communications ssd.eff.org>> 4 days ago
- Malcom Lowry's lost and found "skeleton of a masterpiece" bbc.in/1tzjefI>> 4 days ago
Fine PrintBlog dedicated to reading and writing and their effects. Includes original content by SpyWriter Jack King, as well as interesting and related snippets from other sources (used in accordance with the Fair Use Policy). All copyrighted material remains the property of copyright holders. Let me know if you find offending content, and I shall consider removing it. The Author of this blog does not endorse ANY ads that may be displayed on these pages.
Author, novelist, writing tales of conspiracy, intrigue and espionage